Monday, October 24, 2011

What NOT to Do...

...On a project that you think is going to be simple.

 



        For a Colonial jacket that I'm making (finished pictures before long!), I decided to draft my own stomacher, and not use the pattern. After all, it's just a rounded V shape, and I know the approximate size it needs to be. So, after the hassle of drafting is over, I assumed the pieces would come together very simply.





If you want a simple, relaxing project,
may I suggest that you don't forget to think about it as you go.


And above all, don't:

1) forget to add seam allowance to your pattern

2) stack the outer fabric, lining, and interfacing in such an order that the interfacing ends on the outside

3) realize the above only after sewing everything perfectly (after a couple touch-ups)

4) after fixing #2, realize the tabs were sewn between the wrong layers, and will never come to the outside and be useful

5) After having noticed that you accidentally bought heat-fusible interfacing in the beginning, don't forget that little point and iron the whole (finally) finished piece - fusing the boning channels shut before the boning is in.

And maybe DO say a little prayer that skipping the boning isn't a bad decision. After all, you can always open the stomacher to add extra layers for casings later if it is needed.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! heh heh...I've had some projects that turned out something like this (just with a few more steps #1, #2, #4, and #5s thrown in there). This will just make the pictures of the completed project more enjoyable for us readers! ;)

    ReplyDelete