Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scrap Busters


After all your lovely projects are finished, what are you supposed to do with all the scraps left over?! Some are big enough for saving, but the little bitty ones? Do you save them? *whisper* I tend to. But why? Personally, I save them because I hope that every now and then I'll make something like these:





Quilted Ornaments

 My mom and sister made ornaments like these ones  several years ago as Christmas gifts. (this picture is from online) You can use any fabric you like. Beautiful, no?









 Last year, my sister had the brilliant idea to make me something similar, specifically using scraps from my costume projects. She didn't have directions on hand, so her design is different from what most people make, but I like it better! Looking for examples online, I'm surprised that no one seems to have played with the pattern more.

Here is a good tutorial if you would like to make one:












Camera (or guitar) Strap
Supposedly black is sleek and stylish, and it's cool to wear logos on everything you own. As for me, I like a little more color and personalization. This only took about a 3"x25" piece, and I slipped it over the black strap instead of making one from scratch.



This

to

|
|
|
|
|
\/


        This    :)            
           


Between you and me, it might be a little too tight...I had a horrible time getting it on.




Thumb Tacks and/or Magnets

Depending on what sizes you do, these only take 1-2" pieces! With an excuse like that, scraps could easily pile up awfully fast...

My great aunt was a wonderful seamstress from what I hear. Instead of buying all her buttons, she would snip them off clothes that were too worn out to be worn anymore, and save them in these little pill-bottles. When she passed away, my mom was given all her thread, ric rac, buttons etc.There was a whole shopping bag full! In the last year or two, when I realized what a wonderful gift this was, I sorted them out by color and have been using them. (and started following her example!)





The other day I rounded up a few of the most ugly or cracked buttons, plus some ancient ones that were 35 cents per card at a fabric warehouse. Also some metal button forms, not pictured.











To make the thumb tacks, I used button forms instead of covering plastic buttons. They're a little tidier, and left a hollow space where the thumbtacks fit perfectly. (the button shank pulls out easily if you squeeze them with some pliers before putting the pieces together)


Ahhh...
so much prettier than the ones I had before.





For the round magnets, I cut a circle about twice the size of the button, gathered all around the edge, pulled it tight over the button, and stitched back and forth across the diameter.

For the square, I folded the edges over (gft-wrap style) and used plenty of glue.

I tried gluing sheet magnets on, but they wouldn't even cling to the fridge much less hold paper. Instead, I used the large round magnets, which are regretably bulky :(

                                  See what
 I mean?




And on and on and on...
     I saw this tutorial a few weeks ago and really like the idea, though I wonder what would happen to all the raw edges with wear. I'm hoping they start to look fuzzy/fringey, and plan to make a pillow to test it. You could use this technique for any design! Squares, circles, a picture. It's so easy.



 





From http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=921





Of course, lots of people are crazy about yoyos lately, and you don't have any raw edges to worry about.








This is an Amish Puzzle Ball. I just ran across them for the first time, so I can't say much... but looks pretty neat. Ornament? Baby's toy? etc. Directions here.




Rag rugs, coasters, book covers, bookmarks, stuffed animals, endless!

If you have ever used your scraps to make something, what did you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment