Thursday, March 3, 2011

Covered Letter Box

Still not quite sewing, but here's a fabric-related finished object!





For years, I've kept all the letters I received in a shoebox on a bookshelf. I always meant to paint it, or cover it, and now I finally did! I use shoeboxes to hold all my notions and any small projects (if I can, I like to put all the fabric, thread, pattern, trim, notions etc in a box together until the project gets finished) It could be cute to cover those, too.

 




I actually used a brand-new box for this, since the old one was starting to fall apart. In hopes of helping to keep this one together, I put duct tape around the corners. Maybe it will help, maybe not :) I used a large piece of calico (maybe 20"x30") left over from a sundress a few years ago.












Fold the side raw edge under on the inside. I ended up making it go lower, to be sure sure the cardboard wouldn't been seen from the outside. Use hot glue to keep it down, but smooth it out flat before it hardens.










Also, it helped to smear a thin layer of modge podge/thin glue over the sides of the box. Pull the fabric over one side at a time, stretching it and smoothing out wrinkles as you go.


That takes care of the sides, but I did the front and back a little differently.




 Instead of folding the fabric flat (which is possible, though you have to tirm the fabric back), I played with it to get some pretty folds or pleats.


When I liked them, I hot glued them down little by little, just around the upper edge.








I folded the ends to the inside, covering raw edges as well as I could. I left the hole because it really does help with picking up the box :)

Get some friends to help you fill it.




Cube shaped boxes, made for holding cds are just about the perfect size for holding fewer envelopes.


No comments:

Post a Comment