Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Springerle

          I made cookies! Even better, a recipe I've wanted to try for months, since my aunt sent us some that she made. They're a german cookie called Springerle, which traditionally are very fancy. The cookies are often pressed with highly detailed molds, special rolling pins, or large boards with many designs on one piece. And YES, I do actually have a good deal of German in me!



















          They are sometimes painted (with edibles dyes!), and many have religious designs. These cookies are artwork, and are often given as gifts at holidays or special occasions. And they are delicious. The recipe uses anise seed oil for a light flavor similar to licorice.



          One of my aunts sent me my great-grandmother's recipe, but we ended up using the one my other aunt had used, since the directions were a little clearer. When I make them again, I'd like to try my great-grandma's. Joscelyn and I made them to help relieve post-test stress last week, and now I think I'll have to start baking cookies after every big test. The dough is very simple and came together quickly, which makes it a nice recipe if you don't have much time.














You were supposed to beat the egg/sugar/butter for fifteen minutes!
We stopped a little sooner.


 

  






The recipe calls for oil, but you can use the (chopped) seeds if you double the measurement.





 And I thought they smelled good before being chopped?! mmmmmm!


          I haven't found a good mold to buy yet, but I'm looking for one! They seem like the sort of thing to keep an eye out for at antique shops, too. In the meantime, I gathered up a glass, a jar, and a small dish with embossed patterns to try.


We liked the leaf-like dish the best by far. (Or you could say it's a heart with rays streaming from it)  The cut cookies are left out to dry overnight before baking, which helps keep the design from puffing and becoming distorted in the oven.



Anise can also be used to make a tea by boiling the leaves or seeds. Use about 2 teapoons of seeds for one cup, steeped for about 5-10 minutes. Some people mix the anise tea with their regular choice of tea, for just a little extra flavor. yum. :)




If you would like to try making the cookies, here is the link for the recipe I used. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I love the way you imprinted designs on the cookies - so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genevieve, you're posting comments! What was causing the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was just the browser. Internet Explorer was really starting to malfunction so I switched to Google Chrome.

    ReplyDelete