Thursday, March 24, 2011

Texas

In commemoration of having lived in Texas for five whole years,
I have collected 30 of the most TEXAN pictures taken by ourselves.

Right outside our front door (almost)


Welcome to our home, visitors!


"You Are Here"







Stick

'em

up


Longhorns, if you couldn't tell already.


 Cactus a growin' wild







Some of the most peculiar decorating...
Lakes dried up to the last drop in the 2006 drought



My personal half-enemy. Look at that stance, and don't be deceived by the cute factor.
I have enough gecko-invasion stories to make their own blogpost!






Katie visited a UD friend in Wichita Falls















Texas Bluebonnets!


Where else do they have cattle-shoot mazes to stump the best?
(with taunting signs at every turn, to boot)



(I just realized... this isn't a very Texan picture... I can't think of
any other time I've seen an American flag displayed without
a Texas flag right next to it.)

 The tufftest bunch yu eva did sae








I'm pretty sure this was the first snow we saw in Texas. We were pretty excited, but it doesn't show much.








More
Bluebonnets!





Mockingbirds. My they make a racket! And always from the highest perch. If they chose your chimney, your whole house rings with the jabber.





























Big Tex, showing off the glorious cloudless blue sky. The Texas Star is the biggest ferris wheel in the US, I think.




 I hope we have a good wildflower turnout this spring.
I'm determined to get some good pictures of the Indian Blankets (the orange), my favorite.


 



This piece of embroidery was entered at the State Fair. It's one of the neatest I've ever seen!


 



 Cotton Eyed Joe in a room decorated with rodeo memorabilia
 

 


Pecans. I only just made/ate my first pecan pie, and I'm hooked!



Cattle everywhere, even in the middle of our suburbs. They make good neighbors.

We also have lots of horses, sheep, goats, llamas, and alpacas very nearby. Buffalo are a little farther out from the city.






So here we are, five years later. I guarantee you we're still not Texans, but you/they are a nice bunch of people. 








4 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been five years already! Sheesh, makes me feel old. Love the pictures. Can't believe you've only recently made pecan pie and also had no idea it was a Texas thing! I'm a hardcore midwestern girl and I make one every Christmas. Sooo delicious. This reminds me of the pure Michigan adds except about Texas. lol. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry geckos are your personal half-enemy. I love them and think they are adorable!

    That is such a lovely and creative piece of embroidery; now I want to make something in that style!

    Loved this post- so glad you're in Texas, and that you think we're nice. We think you're nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Brittany on the geckos.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin, yes, the pecan is the state tree, and pecans are a very big 'southern' thing. Yum :)

    I'm getting more and more used to the geckoes. They're almost cute when they're outside, away from the doors. Hence only 'half enemy'. But once they get in my house (and start leaving tails behind...), NOT cute anymore! And the big ones (I've seen them up to about 6") are never cute at all. :)

    ReplyDelete