Thursday, October 20, 2011

Paper Embroidery

          I've heard of people embroidering on paper before, both by hand and my machine. It looks so pretty and different, and I've been intending to try my hand at it for a long time. I had a stack of plain cards lying around, so I thought well, it can't hurt! (though it may hurt the needle... I'm not sure if that particular one will be good for fabric again...)

First attempt:


Not bad. At least, I wouldn't mind sending it to someone.

Second Attempt:

(yes, the threads need to be cut)

Baaaad!
Lesson learned: keep a very constant speed.
Stitch length is hard to keep constant,
and it's 100x more noticeable on paper than fabric!

Possible fix: put some embellishment on to cover the bad spot(s) (test:)




Other types of embelishment:

1) Cut embroidered pieces from fabric by soaking them in modge-podge first,
and letting them harden before cutting (to prevent fraying)



2) Use anything else! Trim, fabric, lace, etc.



Of course, it would help if I didn't use too much glue, and if I paid attention to which way the card opened before gluing. Does anyone know if butterflies can fly upside down? ;-)


Ah well, maybe I'll just stick to fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment