Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You've got to pick a pocket or two

Due to multiple, er, complications, my Civil War ballgown has been put on hold for the time being. I have a couple other small projects going, and more planned, but am not ready to post about them yet. In the meantine, here are pictures of a past project that I loved working on. I hadn't done any embroidery in years and had forgotten how relaxing it is!



Colonial pockets are esentially a large flat pouch that is tied around the waist under the dress. Slits in the sides of the dress and petticoats allow you to reach it. As mentioned in my last post, they are quite roomy! I love being able to fit a small wallet, essential keys, my camera and whatnot in it. I would like to make a second one sometime, so I'm not too lopsided with all my luggage!



My pocket's shape was adjusted from the one in Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. The embroidery design was inspired but simplified from this pocket on display in Willismsburg.





















I couldn't tell what stitch was used in the one on display, so I used a chain stitch for the entire design, except for the 'spokes' of the flowers. The chainstich is tidy and sturdy, but If I were to do it again I would use something more delicate. Live and learn!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Brooke! This is so lovely. You have amazing embroidery skills! I've always heard that embroidery is tedious and difficult to learn. Is that true? I can't wait to hear about more of your projects.

    It's so much fun to keep up with you on this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thank you! It might be tedious for some people, but I enjoy taking some time to sit down and watch the picture growing, sometime while listening to books on tape or watchings a movie. It's easy if you do it like this - just drawing a design and going over it with the threads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad embroidery skillz my friend. I like. I have the pocket thing like this for Felicity and I always liked how pretty the embroidery looks. Yours is gorgeous! I haven't done embroidery in years. I get too anxious thinking about stuff I could be reading or writing. But I'm glad that you're keeping up with it. It's a cool talent/skill to have.
    I remember back in the day when we all used to sit and embroider stuff all the time. Good timezz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also also also, love the Oliver Twist title reference. :p

    ReplyDelete