Monday, June 6, 2011

Antique Hunting



With many friends and cousins getting married these days (wish I could be at the weddings!!) I've been seeing a lot of registries, browsing stores for gifts etc. I don't know if those brides would share my opinion, but I've been thinking of how fun it could be to collect my own fine china instead of registering for it.

Specifically, collect it from antique shops.




I can't imagine paying for fine china, or asking my friends and family to. While it's expensive enough in the shops to keep me from casually picking it up, I'm sure it would be much better. So long as you only pick the undamaged pieces, why not? Going from shop to shop looking for pieces to a specific pattern, going to ebay if you get desperate... sounds fun. (yes, I'd have to avoid the most rare, "collector's price" pattern!)


I like the older styles better than many of the contemporary ones in the stores, and you don't have to think about others choosing the same ones. Besides, antique shops are much more interesting if you are hunting for something particular! Of course, no, it's not the thing to do at the last minute. That's why I've been thinking that it makes sense to begin while you're ahead...



Anyone care to join me?

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I've always wanted to have an eclectic set of dishes rather than matchy matchy ones. Plus this way is super unique and all of them are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete