Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Random Goings-On



Where does the time go?? These days I am delving once again into Anatomy / Physiology. Every new chapter amazes me with the intricacy and wonder of the human creation! That doesn't mean I enjoy textbooks and 4 hour + classes... but it helps. Dissections are nothing to stress over anymore, and the heart may have been the best one yet. :) Can anyone guess how big a pig's heart is? To give you an idea, I doubt that heart would have fit in my ribcage.























On break between spring and summer classes (in the ~2wks I was home), I was on quite a roll with sewing! I finished several projects, including the above dress, and almost finished a second version of it in the printed cotton.




 I also pulled out the scrapbook I started around my highschool graduation and am trying to finish it off this summer. I'm so slow about making decisions, and have to force myself to glue things down for good! I'm trying hard to pull in other momentoes/ papery things to go with the photos, and love going through all the memories.




As for searching out china, a friend and I made a just-for-fun trip to an antique mall almost right after my writing that last post. We found many dishes we loved, but were disappointed with how few had even three matching pieces. I looked my favorites up on ebay, though, and some of them might be rummaged for at good prices.




Along with several other great finds that day, I bought what I think is the most perfect everyday teacup/mug I've ever seen. :-D It's Fiestaware, and I think one of the colors that was available from the 30's to 60's. Sadly, it sounds like most vintage ceramics have lead paint, which means they shouldn't be heated or used with warm food/liquid. There goes my cup of tea. :'( I'm still trying to dig up information on that, so if you happen to know that it's perfectly safe to use on a daily basis, please let me know.



(photo not mine)

Important notice: this recipe is the perfection of molasses cookies. I just added a little extra flour instead of refrigerating, and they were fine. mmmmmm. Count on needing to double the recipe. We're looking forward to making them again before long!


'Till Next Time

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brooke, I just love your dress! I've been wanting to make a blouse with that neckline style for a few years now. :) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how big was your piggy? :D I didn't know you sewed 2 dresses over break!! You'll have to show them to me... and those cookies look good :)

    ReplyDelete