![]() |
…My mom started it. Really! When we were little, she would sew costumes for my sister and I, and doll clothes/costumes too. I grew up with the American Girl stories, and I loved learning everything I could about what life was like ‘back then’. When I was about eleven or twelve, my Grammie made this dress for me, and around the same time we went to a Contra dance being held as a fundraiser at our church.
Since then I’ve learned to sew, and I have the opportunity to attend frequent English Country Dances, some of them costumed. That is why a lot of my blog will be about sewing, and a lot of my sewing focused on historical costuming!
Until next time!
P.S. I'm pretty near positive that anyone reading this blog, so far, is a personal friend of mine. If you don't have an account and comment under 'annonymous' I would love to have you sign your name in your comment, so I can recognize you! (unless you really want to be annonymous)

That's a gorgeous dress, Brooke!! How long did it take?? What kind of material do use for that type of dress?
ReplyDeleteThanks Gen! Um, I have no idea how long this one took :) I think I worked on it, on and off, for a few months in the fall. Then after wearing it once I made some changes, and this picture was taken this Spring.
ReplyDeleteThat is $1 clearance mystery fabric! I think it's cotton/poly. Linen, silk taffeta, etc would have been ieal... lol.
Brooke,
ReplyDeleteYour patience is commendable and rewarded with such an amazing result--the fabulous hoop skirt. I can't wait to see more. (I lack patience.)
Mrs. Callaghan
Aw, thanks Mrs. Callaghan. With or without patience, I always thought your projects turned out wonderfully!
ReplyDelete