Saturday, December 18, 2010

Putting My Skills to the Test

I fell in love with this dress, the fabric, and the price. So I bought it. But, I won't wear it as it is. This is where knowing how to sew comes in really handy! Making decisions doesn't come so naturally to me, so that's where you come in.

The Dress as it is, too short for my taste:




Fix #1: Cut the skirt short and wear it as a top. The bonus here is that I could use what I cut off to fill in some of the back, which is a little low, instead of wearing sweaters all the time like I probably would. 



Fix #2: Cut the skirt off from the bodice, insert a purple waistband between, which drops the waist and lets the skirt down a little. I'd see where I was then, and if it still needed more, I'd figure something out. The bonus is that after more work, I'd have another dress! Aren't dresses always more fun than separate pieces? :)



How do you think it would look with a purple band or ruffle at the bottom, instead of the printed one? If I did that, I could still fill in the back. The pattern is so busy that I don't think it would show too badly. Please make comments with your opinions or ideas!



2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I like the dress as it is, and if you feel it's too short, tights or leggings would go well with it, but I guess it is warmer down there so, you'd want to get more use out of it. I think it looks super cute either as a top or a dress with the added waist-band. I think the dark purple matches well and doesn't clash with the pattern. I guess I like the idea of keeping it a dress, because it looks so darn cute on you! And who could say no to a dress. I vote for the purple band option. Idk, about adding a ruffle. Waistbands are in right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would make a cute shirt, but I also really like the purple band around the middle.

    :) this is the first time i've seen it...

    ReplyDelete