Monday, July 9, 2012

The Happy Result of a Distraction


       The other day when I was at Mass and adoration, I caught a glimpse of a lady's rosary case, and I admit that I forgot all about praying for a minute. Though I often carry a rosary around in my purse, I don't have a case, so I'm always worried about it getting tangled or broken. All the cases available to buy have plastic, snaps, zippers, magnets, or something noisy, and I couldn't think how to make one that was any better. You know how in a quiet chapel, right when you want to be quiet and unobtrusive, everything is noisy.

       So this lady's case intrigued me because it simly had a slit that the flap slipped in to! How brilliantly simple. Of course, on the way home, I was brainstorming for what I could use to make a similar one. And below you see the results of said brainstorming. Once again, all from bits I had on hand at home, finished within an hour's time. I could have a lot of fun with variations on this...



 
Materials: 16 gauge clear vinyl; optional calico or fabric of choice; coordinating thread.
Step 1: cut vinyl and calico rectangles to the desired size. Basically the finished width you like, by three times the height. Fold the vinyl into thirds to see the proportions. On the part that will be the flap, draw the rounded-v shape, and cut. Cut a slit in the front of the pocket wherever the flap sits nicely.


Step 2: Hold the vinyl and calico together with paper clips, to avoid pin-holes. Zig-zag stitch the two together all around the edges.






 Step 3: Fold the front of the pocket up over the back, and zig-zag on the sides through both layers, sewing them together.


Step 4:Touch up the zig-zag on the flap if it needs filling in.





Looking back, I see that I could have done a buttonhole through both vinyl and calico, instead of cutting a slit. But I hate buttonholes... so I'm not regretting it too much. :)


May it please the supreme and divine Goodness to give us all abundant grace
ever to know His most holy will and perfectly to fulfill it.

- St. Ignatius of Loyola

2 comments:

  1. So adorable! And a smart distraction, Haha, I usually just get distracted by cute shoes...or cute guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Caitlin, I never said that all my distractions are like this. Definitely been caught by those and many other things too :)

    ReplyDelete