Saturday, May 26, 2012

May Casa Maria Trip


This may come as a bit of a shock, I know, but my blog does not receive a whole lot of traffic - and that's how I like it! Seeing as that's the case, when I'm writing, I'm talking to YOU. Yes, you! I'm going to write a post about the Sister Servants, their apostolate, their daily life etc. Please ask me any questions you have regarding them, religious life, what I'll be doing, contacting me, the habit... chances are, someone else is wondering the same thing. I want to make sure I answer those questions in the post, or somehow.



       It was all in the blink of an eye, but I'm back from another trip to Alabama! This trip was specifically to introduce my family to the Sister Servants and show them what everything is like. We left the house dark and early at 5am on Thursday, and our flight took off with the steward saying "Fasten your seat belts, raise your trays, lower your expectations, and you're sure to have a GREAT flight." He kept us laughing the whole way with his flight commentary. When we landed and pulled into the gate, he said in perfect courtroom stateliness "All rise" as everyone stood.

A basic neighborhood in the Birmingham area - lots of hills

The view from the top of the hill on the sisters' property,
looking over the pond and Casa Maria
       The Birmingham/Irondale area is absolutely beautiful! After being in Texas, the foothills seem like mountains, the greenery is lush, and everything was generally lovely. We looked around Birmingham a little bit, and when we arrived at Casa Maria, ten or so sisters stopped what they were doing to come meet my family. It was so good to see them all again!

       That evening we went to the EWTN TV station, to watch the filming of Life on the Rock (a Catholic teens' show). Katie and Chris even sat on the stage, behind the host for the show!
Just arrived at EWTN!

Getting the set and cameras ready.
Others did end up sitting on the stage with Katie and Chris, too.

       The next morning, everyone else slept in late while I helped prepare the retreat house for the weekend and chatted with the sisters. It was past eleven as we were leaving Casa Maria and I told a sister that we were headed out for breakfast. "Breakfast?!" She was quite shocked, though a little reassured when I changed it to 'brunch'. She didn't know how badly we all needed those extra hours of sleep!

          In the afternoon we had a very long, excellent meeting with the Vocation Directress, the sister who helped me through my discernment. She will also be my novice mistress after I enter, meaning she guides the new sisters through the transition into religious life, teaches classes etc. My family was able to ask many questions, and she helped to explain a number of things more thoroughly.



Katie watering flowers with one of the sisters
       I can't help thinking of novice mistresses as the mother hens of the novitiate, looking after the newest chicks until they're big enough to take care of themselves. Naturally, the postulants and novices have the general reputation of being awkward, late, confused etc. Just about every sister has her funny stories of what she broke, did, or said when she was still new to the community, and that the others will never let her live down! 
          



        The real retreat began Friday night, and the rest of the weekend was a rotation of prayer, conferences, meals, and free time. A few sisters were around at all times, and we spent a great deal of time talking with them, as well as the other retreatants. Sunday afternoon, we even met the girl who will be entering with me in July! She, her mom, sister, and nephews were able to make it for just a short visit. It was wonderful meeting, you, Elizabeth!

       One of the sisters is a talented artist, and that afternoon Chris showed her a drawing he'd been working on, and asked her advice. She gave him many good tips, and ended up showing him her binder of clippings, photos and such that she collected for inspiration.


      
Elizabeth and I: the future postulants!

 

       Monday morning we were surrounded one more time by a "flock" of sisters, as Katie says, to say goodbye before leaving for the airport. We had a long day there, waiting for a flight, but the time passed quickly. We even ran into both Mother Assumpta Long (foundress of a community we knew well in Michigan) and Crystalina Evert (author & speaker)! Somehow, we managed to all snag comfy armchairs in the one area of the airport without TVs blaring. It was actually quite nice, for an airport. And, obviously, we all made it back to Texas safe and sound. It's less than two months until I make the trip again.

The time is flying fast, and soon I'll be back in Alabama, but wearing brown!

May it please the supreme and divine Goodness to give us all abundant grace
ever to know His most holy will and perfectly to fulfill it.

- St. Ignatius of Loyola

5 comments:

  1. So which episode were they on? My mom saw the Chrystalina Evert episode the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live+Jesus!
    Hi Brooke!
    Thanks for the post and the beautiful pictures!! Congratulations again! Hopefully we can talk soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers. May you receive many graces and blessings from the Heart of Jesus as you prepare to enter the convent. May the Blessed Mother be with to strengthen and protect you, and may God give you all the graces you need to become a holy religious and a saint.

    Love in Christ,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin, we thought we would see that one, but they were actually filming two back-to-back! They are in the episode with the director and actress from The Mighty Macs.

    Erin, thank you so much! I'm looking forward to talking to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes my Mom discovered that through her crazy Catholic website searching skills. Found the episode online and watched it. Oh parentals.

    So cool that you guys got to be there though.
    Praying for you like a prayer ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. What's really funny is that they could see a screen with the video stream, and Chris says that whenever the camera was on Fr. Mark, he'd lean over just enough to get his whole face on screen!

    ReplyDelete